ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replaced the trunk release cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
birdiestobehad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Replaced the trunk release cable Reply with quote

My trunk release cable broke about 8 months ago and at first I didn't mind so much as I thought this made storing items even more secure. Well after having the release button in the glove box "fail" a couple of times (just didn't work, but then worked the next day, probably a short in damp conditions) I finally got a replacement from Henry Huisman at Paradise Automotive (ascmclaren.com). I used the diagrams and descriptions found in the "Service Manual" section also found on Henry's site and it was fairly easy to do. It took about 90 minutes or so to replace the cable, the biggest pain was reconnecting the tonneau release switch. That took almost half the time as there was no "slack" on the female wires and with the tub assembly in place it was tight to the switch. I kept trying to reconnect by using a long screw driver, then a pair of tongs and then the screwdriver again. I finally reached in next to the convertible framework, gently pulled the carpet/fabric back and was able to get just enough slack in the wires to reconnect the switch.

Here are some observations for the next person who wants to try this:

- Go to ascmclaren.com, Service Manual, Interior, pages 2 and 3. This is a realy good step by step with diagram for removal and assembly. I just loosened the Quarter Trim Upper Cap and only losend the drivers side tub assembly without totally removing.

- I used several plasic bags to lable and store items since when I started I didn't know if I'd get done that day.

- When removing the cable at the trunk latch, be careful with the metal clamps that hold the cable to the plastic connector so as not to damage either. Use pliers to squeeze the clamps just enough to let the cable slide through.

- Do NOT remove the old cable right away. When the cable is free and loose, duct tape the trunk end of the new cable to the release end of the old cable (I overlapped it 12" - 16"). When securely taped, pull through from the trunk side. It may get caught a bit, just work back and forth, but don't force it.

I wish I'd taken pictures but my camera was at the office. Since I had the Stowage Box Assembly out I re-glued the fabric/carpet where it was loose, especially on the lid edges.

I was wondering why the passenger side Stowage Box had a hole in it. When I had the box out I discovered that there was a rubber drain tube that went through the floor board. Anyone have knowledge of this? Ice chest?

Well I hope this helps other intrepid souls who want to replace the cable. I assume the tonneau release cable would be similar.
1986 'vert #118
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: