ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pricing for a 1965 Mustang parts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Pricing for a 1965 Mustang parts? Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

looking for advice and experienced opinions from those who've dealt in rebuilding cars, going to swap meets, buying and selling parts in general.

I have a '65 Ford Mustang I've decided to part out. As parts cars go this IMHO would be a top tier parts car, as Its at the line of being a car worthy of rebuilding.

The engine and transmission were finished and never made it back in the car. 289 and a C4 automatic.

C4 was rebuilt stock with only one mod, a mild upgrade in the torque converter.

289 was completely dissassembled, block repainted, bored .030 over, has a 302 crank, mild cam w/lifters, pistons matched to a performer intake, holley 650 4 bl. carb, roller rockers, db. rlr timing chain, new water pump, chrome dress up kit, ceramic coated headers, stock heads.

What is the C4 and 289 worth?

Thanks.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are worth the most with the original car if the date codes still match.

Separated from its car, I don't think it's worth any more than a similarly built 302. The 289 is just a de-stroked 302. You can't really tell the difference outwardly and many guys are just going to grab a 302 to build if they are dropping it into their car. Also, many 289s have been stroked to 302s over the years.

The only way I could see it being worth a lot to someone is if the date codes match up with a car they are restoring. I don't know how many people are looking for date correct 289 parts anymore.

Other parts of the car may not be worth a lot either. Remember these cars can literally be built directly out of a catalog. You can buy every bolt, hose, gauge, panel and plug by simply picking up the phone.

Date coded glass might bring some money but I think that can now be custom ordered too. The big money is really in having a good solid body shell to start with or some of the rare options like 8" limited slip or disc brakes, etc.

It's been a while since I've been into the classic scene, but I don't think it's changed a whole heck of a lot.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of side questions...

Is it a 64.5 car?

What color did you repaint the engine? What color was it before you repainted it?

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

The car is a '65, not a 64 1/2.

and the block was painted the correct black color. '65 289s were black. '66 289s were ford blue.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea. it is a numbers matching car too.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
shelbyscarab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the car on Craigslist last night at 5 PM and I've gotten 7 calls from different people wanting different parts of the car. I'm meeting with one this weekend that wants everything except the engine and transmission. Which I'm fine with, those IMHO will be easy to sell since they are finished.
1988 ASC McLaren #688
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could you send me a link

Was thinking of selling my mustang
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: