ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie help 86 vert
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maybuyone

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:21 am    Post subject: Newbie help 86 vert Reply with quote

I found this at a local dealer. I went to see it today and its in excellent condition. They had the top up when I got there and its BLACK Smile I have read that only two 86's had the color combo like this.

http://www.bmotors.us/vehicle-details/8ecee5ef1a4d3841b5bf0406d228722a/1986+mercury+capri+5.0+l+2-door+hatchback.html

I would like help with getting any information about this one, I will do a Marti report on it before I decide to purchase it.
Any help would be great
I hope the link works
maybuyone

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked over the production numbers, this site doesn't show a production figure for RED ext, TAN int and BLACK top. I did find a list that two where build on ASCMCLAREN.COM.
85asc239

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice.

Interior looks good. Has radar detector. Color combo is cool. Car is made out of a RS. This is rare as most were GS.

Things not original:

Hood vents should be body color--does not matter looks cool
Grill should be 3 bar not 5 bar (no mercury logo)--- again looks cool
Radio and speakers-- As long as it works
Wheels-- 15" mesh wheels in black/silver come up for sale often $300 ish
Tail pipes dont look chromed -- could just be photo
Vent controls should be black plastic---cheap to get repos

Overall the car looks good and has low milage. If you like the changes go for it. The price might be a little high. However prices are all over the place on these car right now. It is not just the Mclarens but also mustangs and capris.

I have owned a few mustangs/capris (15). My 85 ASC vert is the first one that I bought to keep stock. It is a very fun car to drive, much more fun than my 86 GT convertible.

If you have questions let me know.
Jeremy
maybuyone

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks 85asc239, the car is not in bad shape. I don't think the mileage is correct, just to many things point to higher mileage. I think its been repainted and cleaned up abit. I think it would be fun to get her and return it back to original. Think for the price would be good investment if she is solid and has no hidden damage.
birdiestobehad

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an original 1986 that my dad bought brand new and is all original (except for rubber items, etc.) and my brother still has his 86 that he bought new also, and here is what I see.

I agree with everything 85asc239 has commented on.

Also:

- The upper brake light on the trunk is incorrect.
- I know there are several post concerning the attachment of the wood dash appliques, but both ours do not have exposed fasteners.
- All the ASCMcLaren badges are missing.

Not seeing the car in person, I believe you are correct that the car has been repainted. My personal opinion is that when it was redone, the shop used RS trim, grille, and other body parts and the interior was probably(?) redone with the black carpeting and top.

Again, these are just my opinions, but I would check and see if the car has been in any accidents (AutoCheck, Car Fax, etc.)
1986 'vert #118
tfs2121

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things stick out to me. Black carpet. I don't recall ever seeing a Mclaren with black carpet. The rs on the belt molding I have never seen this on a Mclaren. Missing the design by Peter Muscat badge on the 1/4 panel. Plus all the stuff Jeremy pointed out.

Last edited by tfs2121 on Sat May 04, 2013 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
tfs2121

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ascmclaren.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2519

Here is a link to one of Sandys old posts shows the 86 colors. Looks like 2 with black roof and black interior. I'm confused on the interior part. This car has tan seats and councel but black carpet.
maybuyone

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody, I am going throu every bit of information o can to verify if this car is worth my time and money. I seen some photos from a member DenverMclaren here and this look like the car he has/or had.
The more information I get points to this car being rebuilt and not done to the highest quality. In person you can see the paint and body work will need to be redone. Overall the car is in very good shape, but I may pass on getting it. I will go back to the dealer to get a better look and see if I can get it on a lift to check out the underside. Thanks
tfs2121

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ther car Denvermclaren posted in 86 ver pics has tan carpet and door carpet. The car your looking at has black
Kentennis

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A LOT different than mine. Door panels different, no headlight taillight covers, no 'ground effects', speakers in a slightly different location. Maybe someone bought an RS and took it to ASC for conversion. May even have been an employee.

My dash has the small screw attachments also. Luckily mine haven't been rained on. I've seen some where the screws have 'bled' all over the Pecan wood. I assume it was from being exposed to rain.

It does look nice though.

And they are fun to drive. We're up over 23,000 miles now.

When I first bought ours I went to a car show and someone that had worked at ASC came up to me and told me a lot about the cars. Wish I had gotten his name and number. That was almost 5 years ago and I never saw him again.
tfs2121

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 86 the headlight, taillight covers and ground effects were part of an optional package. It looks like this car was not ordered with it.

I forgot that verts got special door panels. I'm trying my best to help out but I know a lot more about the coupes then I do the verts.
birdiestobehad

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other item I thought more about that may not be original is the 140 mph speedometer. It was an option and was also part of the upgraded package with ground effects etc. It can also be bought aftermarket (see Henry's site for example). As you noted, if the mileage doesn't seem correct it may have been replaced.
1986 'vert #118
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one just sold on ebay with the headlight and ground effects but does have some NON-ASC items also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Capri-McLaren-Mustang-Mercury-Capri-1986-asc-mclaren-mercury-capri-mustang-convertible-/290894227947?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43baa5a9eb#ht_931wt_1196
Tom S.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:
this one just sold on ebay with the headlight and ground effects but does have some NON-ASC items also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercury-Capri-McLaren-Mustang-Mercury-Capri-1986-asc-mclaren-mercury-capri-mustang-convertible-/290894227947?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43baa5a9eb#ht_931wt_1196

Apologies to the owner if he's here but this thing is a mish-mash of ugly.

'85 ASC Coupe #607910--sold and crushed RIP Crying or Very sad
'95 SVT Cobra--sold
'89 Oregon State Police SSP Mustang--sold
'86 LX 5.0 Coupe--sold
tfs2121

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:

Not ASC headlight covers or ground effects looks like mustang side skirts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: