ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goodyear gatorbacks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott86capri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Goodyear gatorbacks Reply with quote

I was sourcing some parts today and happened open these and figured I would post this up go to www.mustangunlimited.com in the search box put Goodyear and go to the last entry on page 2 they are $315.00 a piece and are manufactured by Goodyear using origanal molds and would be crucial to a correct restoration on any mustang or capri restoration to factory. I know some of the asc's used this tire and they are offered in the 225/60VR15 that would be origanal. If memory serves me in 1986 three weeks after I burned the first set off my capri I paid $265.00 a piece then. I thought it to be a good price.
svo413

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Gaterbacks Reply with quote

They did not come on the early ASCs as they used BFGs. The repros have been around about 2 years now. I have only heard of one or two people who bought them due to the high price. These days $100-$150 gets you a pretty nice tire. 2013 added another wrench to the tire problem with very few sources in the original size tire.

The Gaterbacks were original to the Factory Capri and Mustangs but ASC added their own tires and wheels. Repro Gaterbacks are really only ideal for mustang show cars.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Eurocoupes didn't get a tire change.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
svo413

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Tires Reply with quote

I thought the Eurocoupe used 50 or 55 series tire where the vert. Used 60 series.

I stand corrected. I should have looked it up.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250

Last edited by svo413 on Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ascmclaren.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=26&highlight=tire

Quote:
They did not enjoy a tire change, and came with the
standard tires - 60 Series P225x15 usually Goodyear Eagle
VR & ZR series tires......but not 100% of the time!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit Grand Prix Capri's also had the Gaterbacks. bBut that is because they used the factory 10 hole wheels
Tx Trooperstang

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a source there in Missouri which is where they made that can get them cheaper than going through Mustangs Unlimited.

Tom
scott86capri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,
What source would that be I am in missouri and thought they would be appropriate for my eurocoupe the 86 RS has already had the five lug conversion and has 4 wheel diac I do not think the 15 will even fit anymore but should look sweet on the orange mesh I think. I also realize most asc's did not have the Gatorbacks but some I would assume on this site have multiple cars it was more an FYI than anything else. I have read multiple posts on other sites where people were looking and could not find them or were buying NOS on ebay for $600.00 per tire and I would not drive on those for sure. I just thought someone here might be intrested.
Scott
Tx Trooperstang

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is active on the SSP Forums and I will shoot him a PM to see if can pop over here, They are in Lee Summit.

Tom
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott,

if you have the five lug conversion the Grand Marquis has a 16 inch mesh wheel that will work and look sweet. Just paint them orange.

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/0/4/9/1/7/webimg/309585630_tp.jpg
scott86capri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eurocoupe is all factory original and have the orange asc rims for that car that it came with good logos and all the previous owner took them off and put them in his garage 17 years ago. That is the car that will get the gatorbacks. The non asc RS capri is the one that has been modded its got 17" cobra r's on it with five lug conversion and four wheel big brake discs. I thought about mesh rims for that one as well but black, it's all red with just a black pinstripe around body side molding and all trim is black as well I think there is a picture of it in my album. You cannot find the mesh rims in a 17" size without spending like $2500.00 and I do refuse to pay that for rims. The cobras look real good on it so I think I will leave well enough alone on that one. That is the one that I hope next yer will get the coyote motor in it with a 6 speed. The asc will be lovingly restored to the best factory spec as I can.
scott86capri

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those rims are sweet where do you find those salvage yards are is some one still making them and what years did they come on
Smallhurst

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I am the one that can get these tires for you.

These are reproduction tires... Tread, appearance, and construction mimic the original. More modern rubber compounds are some improvement over the originals. These tires are made here in the US and under the supervision of Goodyear.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions. My cell is 816-654-3400.

Rusty Small
Kentennis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't need tires. The Firestones are in great shape, almost no treadwear on them. I am not crazy about Firestones but they will probably be on the car till I sell it.

And I am about to start selling some of the cars. The wife says if I sell some, I can get the 2014 Corvette, in the color I want.

Anyone interested in a very low mileage 1986 Convertible with every option offered in '86. I think the radio is a replacement and 1 speaker does not work in the drivers seat. It has the Recaro's with the speakers in the headrests.
ASC007

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to work for Discount Tire in the mid 80s and remember when people would come in to replace their Gatorbacks back in the day.
Price per tire almost anywhere for the Goodyear OE tire was about $125 each. It was one of the most costly tires back then. The Corvettes and Z28s also came from the factory with Gatorbacks. That tire changed the market ever since it came out. It also I believe was the first uni-directional tire to hit the market. Even worse, they where one of the few companys even making a 225-60, ..most customers opted to buying 235-60s for their cars. It was
only one size larger, but they would rub a little on the front fenders when you would back up and turn the wheel. It was about the only real negative effedt at the time. Prices avg about $75 per tire. Everyone once in a while people would put on 225-50s, which fit on the stock 7" wide wheel. They where wider by far over the 60s, but they where also about an 1" shorter overall, which didnt go over to well for all buyers. It made the gap in the fenderwell larger then stock...not a great look. Coker was smart enough to buy the molds for the Gatorbacks, and even the wacky TRX 390mm wheels... Its nice to have the option to buy retro style tires for our older classic muscle cars, and even modern classic 80s muscle cars, I just feel like they are raping us as buyers when their tires are double or more of a modern equivalent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: