ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No stock radio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
85asc239

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: No stock radio Reply with quote

My 85 has the stock kenwood tape player. When new it 9 watts, now ?? It does work but no longer sounds that good.

I have a newer cd player that I can put in.

My ? is what do you think a almost bone stock car with new radio.

should I just do it or not.

Thanks
Jeremy
svo413

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Radio Reply with quote

Unless you gave a car with less than 20k miles on it, replacing the unit is not going to affect the car value. The 85 often has the DIN dash opening. You can verify this by the 2 holes on the bottom side of the dash. I would not cut a two shaft dash opening to a DIN. Fortunately there are lots of options for both.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
hanksgt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: No stock radio Reply with quote

I was worried about changing the original, failing radio in my '89 too. I used a wiring harness adapter, so no wires were changed/cut/spliced and a mounting kit so no holes were drilled. The original radio is in a box in the garage. What's to worry about? Do it and enjoy good sound again.

85asc239 wrote:
My 85 has the stock kenwood tape player. When new it 9 watts, now ?? It does work but no longer sounds that good.

Thanks
Jeremy

'89 ASC #176
'87 ASC #134
'85 GT
birdiestobehad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same as Hank a few years ago after getting the car from my dad. The radio hadn't worked for years and I haven't had any cassettes for many many years. I also installed a Bazooka 6" powered sub woofer sitting on the floor behind the drivers seat. Adds that "oomph" you loose with a convertible. It was only about $120, so if it "walks away", no big deal.

As Hank said, do what it takes to enjoy it without damage and save the original equipment in case the next person wants to make it original.
1986 'vert #118
the jacK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install antenna delete plate. Install radio delete plate. Modify that engine. Then listen to the motor. And if you like it loud get some 3.73 gears. hEAVY METAL!!!
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: No stock radio Reply with quote

85asc239 wrote:

Thanks
Jeremy

I bought newer Kenwood speakers that fit in the original openings and the results were very dramatic with the old radio. I had to create a fader for the fronts because they were so loud ($10 potentiometers you can put in line to dial down the loudness). The old speakers probably need updating.

I wouldn't put in a new style radio unless you would not have to cut the dash. You can never repair a dash once it has been hacked.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: