ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WTB - Outside Seal For Taillight Cover (Mustang)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CocoLoco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: WTB - Outside Seal For Taillight Cover (Mustang) Reply with quote

Hi all - just wondering if anybody has a spare outside seal for the Mustang taillight covers. My recently acquired 1990 is missing just the one seal.
Checked with Henry but he is out of stock. The other 3 seals are good (2 inside, 1 outside). Just missing the one. Must have fallen off or something. Any help appreciated.
1985 Red ascMcLaren Convertible #218
1990 Seafoam Auqa ascMcLaren Convertible #263
2001 Yellow Mustang Convertible
1977 Red Bonneville Coupe
AFChap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was missing the covers entirely. I got the covers from Henry but after several months of checking he still had no outside seals. I went to Lowes and got some black foam weather seal that is self-stick on one side. I cut pieces to fit tight fro top to bottom around the teaillight curve, stuck them to the taillight, and gently put the covers on, tucking the seal in as I went. They are not original, but they are virtually invisible and they do the job of keeping dust/water/etc from entering that outer gap.
- '88 ASC McLaren #041 in Black Cherry Metallic w/5-speed manual
- '67 F-100 fleetside, all original w/240ci 6 cyl
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of those seals/weatherstripping are things Hank has had to source from other places as well.

The OEM asc stuff is loooong gone and he often tries to get something close enough to work.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
CocoLoco

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey AFChap - I decided to follow your advice. I got some black vinyl weather-stripping, 5/16" by 1/4" I think, from Home Depot. Cut it to length plus a little extra top & bottom to kind of wrap around the curves. Stuck it onto the very edge of the lens.

After a couple of test fits and some adjustment, it worked GREAT!!!!

Maybe not as pretty as OEM, but unless you know what is supposed to be there, you wouldn't know it wasn't correct.. It will definitely keep the crud out of the covers, which after all is the main goal.

So a big THANK YOU for your sharing of this idea. Worked and looks great.
1985 Red ascMcLaren Convertible #218
1990 Seafoam Auqa ascMcLaren Convertible #263
2001 Yellow Mustang Convertible
1977 Red Bonneville Coupe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: