ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

85 McLaren coupe for sale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lightning95sc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: 85 McLaren coupe for sale Reply with quote

https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/10187821

Found this while trolling.

Full package coupe, Euro coupe, built this way or previous accident damage?

I left a message for more info, but no return, yet. What do you think of the price?

Chuck
1985 Motorsport Capri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot is wrong with this ad.
states its an 85 that is blue but photo is of a grey exterior. that was an 86 color only.
also says its a 4-speed as there was no 4 speed manual in 85.

it also has the rs airdamn with marchall fog lights instead of the asc airdam & larger foglights.

would check the bug tag & door tag. as this may be a repaint due to an accident or a clone.

also has the stock Ford radio. 85 asc coupes had the kenwood or alpine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, my guess is this car was probably sold at NorthTown?

From Sandy:

Quote:

Those 26 units that went to Northtowne L-M in Kansas City N-E-V-E-R sat foot (okay, tires) inside of Autry Avenue in Livonia. As a matter of fact, they NEVER were AT ascMcLaren, at all !!!! They went directly from FoMoCo's plant at Dearborn TO Northtown L~M in Kansas City.

From what I have been told, what happened at N-T was a total bunch of craziness. Supposedly, depending on the deal made with the customer, the "full package" may not have included this thing or that thing. Many of the cars didn't get all the parts they were supposed to have in the FP.

My guess on this car, being that is SO clean and has so many of the super rare parts (radar detector, floor matts), is that it is possibly all original. N-T just never put on the correct front air dam.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be clear, Sandy's quote was directed towards "Eurocoupes"...however, there was some skullduggery done with the FP's too.

This one looks to be a grey '85. (1B was an 85 color). No rear tail light. I'd love to see an engine shot.

However, supposedly ONLY Blue and White '85 coupes were allowed, right?

Well, with NT, all bets are off. They were such a power house for selling asc cars, that they had enough parts to assemble tons of cars if they wanted to.

I think most of the craziness came at the end of the 1986 year, when asc, stopped production...but NT wanted more cars. However I can't rule out 1985s as being affected.

Not saying this is the case with this car...but every time I see a car from that area, it's always a bit goofy.

Check for the D32 code on the door tag. Get a Marti report also and see what it is.

Bottom line, a true FP or not, is that this car falls into and is part of the asc history of our cars...and I bet she's got quite a story to tell as to how she was born.

-Mike
1985 Motorsport Capri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but it says 85 in the ad & has an 85 hatch.
Northtown did the Euro coupes in 86.

ad says its a blue 85.

color is charchol in photos.

hatch changed out?

strange
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1985 Motorsport Capri wrote:
but it says 85 in the ad & has an 85 hatch.
Northtown did the Euro coupes in 86.

ad says its a blue 85.

color is charchol in photos.

hatch changed out?

strange

Pretty sure Northtown sold 85's too.

In my second post, I was trying to say that they were known for working their funny business with all the cars they sold. Eurocoupes were especially prone to weird things but the FPs I have seen have never seem to have been an exact to asc spec build.

-Mike
svt1996cobra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: 85 Capri Reply with quote

I don't believe this car was a legit 85 ASC McLaren. I would get a Marti report before I bought it. Notice it has the "Designed by Muscrat" emblem on the side too. I smell a fake.

It's on eBay now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-RS-ASC-McLaren-/252102594371?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3ab27c4f43&item=252102594371

David
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 Capri Reply with quote

svt1996cobra wrote:
I don't believe this car was a legit 85 ASC McLaren. I would get a Marti report before I bought it. Notice it has the "Designed by Muscrat" emblem on the side too. I smell a fake.

If so, it's a hell of a fake.

Floor Mats? Quarter window treatments? Radar detector?

Like I said, there is a heckuva story on this car. And I think NT is in the center of it.

-Mike
1985 Motorsport Capri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in addition to the RS airdam, it also has the lower charchol paint.
I am starting to think this was assembled from a base RS by NortheTown.
1985 Motorsport Capri

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a buck tag would go a long way on this one.
if it didn't have a D32, then you probably could argue it was a fake that was probably assembeled by NT
scoutdrivinrebel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 Capri Reply with quote

negusm wrote:
svt1996cobra wrote:

If so, it's a hell of a fake.

Floor Mats? Quarter window treatments? Radar detector?

Like I said, there is a heckuva story on this car. And I think NT is in the center of it.

-Mike

Agreed Mike. It's definitely unique, but I don't think "fake" is the right word to use.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1985 Motorsport Capri wrote:
in addition to the RS airdam, it also has the lower charchol paint.
I am starting to think this was assembled from a base RS by NortheTown.

Can't say for sure...but that was my first reaction. It looks like an RS with lots of asc parts....but they pretty much went all out if that is true...which would be extreme.

-Mike
lightning95sc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it gets even more confusing if you read the write up on ebay.
It says that the car has an 8.8. 85's still had a 7.5.

And, if memory serves, I seem to recall Sandy saying '85 coupes weren't numbered.

In my opinion, this is either the rarest '85 Capri, not to mention, a one off McLaren, or its as we used to say about fakes, a "put together".

I think Hippy kind of set the money for what "really" nice coupes go for. Again, in my opinion. With the questions surrounding this one and the lack of communication(I've called AND emailed twice, with no response), the money on this seems a little far out.....for me.
Regardless, if its screwed together as well as it looks, somebody is going to get a nice, "unique" car.

Chuck
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Capris go, it's top-notch. None are hardly in better condition.

Most '85 owners think they have an 8.8 rear. It just seems to a problem with '85 owners thinking the 85 and 86's carried more in common than they are.

Yeah, I don't know where he got the number from. They never had a number....but it's not like I haven't seen people pull numbers for their cars out of thin air before either.

-Mike
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His vin is about halfway through the list Sandy posted.

So going by vins he'd be in the 70's somewhere.

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: