ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How I got into McLarens (Long)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandra

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:19 am    Post subject: How I got into McLarens (Long) Reply with quote

Hey all,

Just thought folks might be interested in how I got into ASC's (specifically 85's) I know I often wonder what drew others to these. Like folks that restore them from hopeless wrecks to things of beauty and those that bought em new and drive them the equivalent to around the block once a week. (it can't be for the value's they have brought in YET!!)

For us (Christine and me John) We were out to get her her first purchased car. Her Mom's hand me down Cavalier left much to be desired. She liked sports cars but wasn't allowed to buy anything. Her Dad didn't approve of anything we looked at (an 86 TA, a CRX si, A Mustang and an old Jaguar come to mind) Then we spotted an ad for a Mercury Capri ASC McLaren 5spd coupe. Apparently this was different from a Mustang due to the name and it was Okay'd. Unfortunately it was now Christine that didn't approve (Orange Stripes on a Blue car!!!) Apparently those colors clash Rolling Eyes
Well acting as if I knew something I talked her into going to look at the car. "Don't worry the orange stripes will be hardly noticeable." Well at least she went to look at it. The looks certainly didn't sell her on the car, it was the drive! We drove it home and somehow she grew to love the car.

Somehow we then came across Sandy and told him of our coupe. I can't remember at all how. We promptly joined the club and got our ASC listing papers. (back then Sandy would send out VIN's and addresses of fellow enthusiasts.) Just a few months later it happened. We were driving the coupe down the road and saw a Red Convertible ASC! We had to buy it! Well I didn't know then the difference between the stick and the auto until I drove the car. Well it worked out great because she loved the convertible (No stripes!) Now the coupe was pretty much mine Twisted Evil

The miles we put on those cars would make most collectors cringe. But it was all worth it. We were the envy of many kids in college.

Fast forward to 2001 -- I had always wanted a 85 Convertible 5spd but from what I knew none were made or at least none I could prove. One day there one was on the web. A reported 18K miles and looked great! This car is so original it still has 1985 printed on the spark plug wires. I would have bought this car for 2X what I paid. Makes me feel young again (at 33 I guess that's a bit odd Confused )
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: How I got into McLarens (Long) Reply with quote

mandra wrote:
Unfortunately it was now Christine that didn't approve (Orange Stripes on a Blue car!!!) Apparently those colors clash

BOO!!! HISSSS!! Hahah, just kidding. That is an awesome awesome story.

BTW, I'm gonna move this to the General Discussion...I want to make sure nobody misses it.

-Mike

Last edited by negusm on Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good story, Mandra! Enjoyed it. Private message me, and give me your name. I'd like to look you up on the Registry!! Been a long time ~ been at it since 1986. My 1986 Coupe? Since the time you contacted me, I've driven it about 275 miles! Present mileage on it is 646 (1986) # 109 of 115. Charcoal Grey/Orange. 1 of 17 in color. Pwr. Door Locks. 4 trophies, so far (2 firsts and 2 thirds - can't seem to get a second!!) Laughing
I have 2 others, now. Both 1990 'Verts ! The final car they made, and the 6th from the final car, which is #4 of the 12 Silver Anniversary Models. Their mileage(s) are 2,327 and 7,327 .

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
bryan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story, Mandra. I saw my first ascMcLaren when I was about 15. Someone at my high school had a dad who owned one, and he'd drive him to school in it. Until recently, I'd only seen one other McLaren years later when I was in college. I put a note on the parked car giving the owner my phone number and letting them know I'd buy it if they were interested in selling (no call).

Five years later, I read a classified ad for my '87. Unfortunately, I was sold on the car before I even saw it, and may not have driven the hardest bargain. But I certainly don't regret buying it. My girlfriend hates it because it "so 80s" (gold wheels, Fox body, etc.), but she's just going to have to get used to it. I think the ascMcLarens are some of the most beautiful and unique American-made sports cars of all time, and she (the car) isn't going anywhere! Wink
'87 Guards Red ascMcLaren (#398)
lightning95sc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: How I got into Mclarens Reply with quote

Don't feel too bad, I still think the '85 & '86 coupes are THEE most beautiful cars I've ever seen. So heres my story...... I've always liked "FOX" cars, I even built a business around them. I started with a '79 Cobra with a built 302 when I was 19(that was in '82). In '84 I was fortunate enough to be able to buy an '83 GT from a Ford mechanic who was waiting for a new '85. But what I really wanted was an '83 RS(I love the bubbleback). So I went to a Lincoln/Mercury dealer to see if I could trade my GT for an RS I had seen on the lot while "weekend window shopping". This was the wrong thing to do because my life changed forever.
Sitting on the showroom floor was the most gorgeous Capri I'd ever seen. I no longer wanted the RS. I wanted this new thing.... this Mclaren. I recognized the name(unlike EVERYBODY in the dealership). Nobody could give me any info on the car, just that it was a "special edition". One "salesWOMAN" was willing to find out what it was and how much. She called ASC the next day and got the info. In turn I brought her 4 Mclaren sales and we've been friends ever since. And I've been hooked on Mclarens ever since(I've owned 3). BTW I'm looking for another one!!!! Chuck
Wine asc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The firdt McLaren I saw was a 1985 in Denver somewhereand my dad was going to buy me a used graduation present. At the time I was into another odidty, Jeepster Roadsters and Commandos. I saw it at Kumpp L/M and I thought ot myself, that is a reallly cool looking Capri, but not real practical for off roading.(At the time I loved to go hill climbing) Any way I started seeing more of these Capri's while I was stationed in DC for 2 years but could never really afford one. Then about 2 years ago I saw one again this one a white 84 vert that I fell in love with, but the owner was never arround to talk to about it. than last November I found my 87 and have been happily tinkering with it ever since
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first one I saw was the one I have now. Mom and dad got it for me for a college runabout in late 1992 or so. It was used but ran fine.

I still remember feeling it wasn't much of a replacement for the '67 Cougar I was driving. I thought, "Too bad it wasn't a Mustang..any Mustang would have been cool".

Somewhere along the way a kick to the head must have straightened me out.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
tfs2121

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like mike the first one i saw was mine i took it for a test drive and then it was mine Smile i have been happely married to it for about a year now

though i have had a few prob with it she still sticks me to my seat when i give her some gas
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall the first one I ever saw. {Seems like I was in my crib, tho} Very Happy

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: