ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to group
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
probstkr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: New to group Reply with quote

Hello all, new member just saying hi. I was a member at Yahoo but just looked around a couple of times and never got involved. I've had my 85 coupe for about 10 years now, but I'm just moving out of the get married-buy a house-have kids-and change a bunch of diapers phase of life when working in the garage and going to car events seems to be ever so unpopular with your spouse. Hopefully going forward I can actually spend some time and money fixing up the car and driving it. I'm looking forward to taping into this great resource you folks have set up here, thanks.

I actually got a chance to wash and wax the coupe last weekend so I posted some pics in my album if anyone is interested.
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Very Happy
Obviously the wife & kiddies were out-of-town, for you to get "all that time" to wash/wax the car!! Lucky the neighbors didn't squeel on you! Shocked

Car looks pretty good. Needs a rear under bumper valance panel and a new stripe kit for the front lower air dam. Has a nice shine to it. Property looks beautiful ! English Tudor ?

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
probstkr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sandy,

Actually the building in the background with the dormers is a funeral home (up side Very Happy neighbors are usually quiet, down side Crying or Very sad sometimes they throw really big parties) our house is a half cape; probably built from a kit, which was very popular around here.

More importantly the car, both the rear valance and side skirts were destroyed by the time it got to me. I still have the rear valance and am hopeful that it can be salvaged, but the side skirts were toast and removed by the previous owner. The paint still shines and looks great from a distance but the roof is alligator skinned and the hood is developing some spot rust. Other than that the car was reasonable complete when I got it except for the headlight/taillight covers (of course), radio, floor mats, shift knob and most unfortunately the ASC McLaren numbering tag.

I have no idea what the number for the car is and from what I understand from reading some of the posts there is no way to find out for an 85(would have been nice if ASC had put it on the radiator support tag or some other place on the car!). I don’t know if the previous owner ever put it in the registry but if you could check I would appreciate it. The VIN ends in 613087 and the build date was 3/85. If you don’t have it yet let me know and I’ll call you with the info.

Thanks again
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Another one to add to the list. Almost up to 10%!

Here is what I have found...

607855 Blue Grey - Sold by Hank
607872 Blue Grey - Negus
607910 midnight blue grey
607916 Blue Grey
612856 Do not know color.
612885 Blue Grey, Car Was a Basket Case, Parted Out
613087 probstkr car...blue 3/85 build
613156 Blue Grey
615308 Midnight Blue Grey Peter Shear
615305 Modified into a Race Car
615312 Blue...Kalamazoo...53k...3/17/2005
615314 midnight blue two-tone gray
616192 Midnight Blue Grey - Has Cruise and PW/PL

It "looks" like yours may be in the "second" batch. There are no numbers associated with the 85 coupes.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so it needs a little TLC, but it's only time & money ! Could be ALOT worse! You should see some of the ones I've found Shocked

Bet those noisy parties next door are on the night before Halloween! Laughing

You need to purchase the needed parts N*O*W,
before they are all gone! The Alpine radio might be difficult to get, but the rest of the stuff is out there!

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
You need to purchase the needed parts N*O*W,
before they are all gone!

What does that mean? The body parts are available and reproduced by www.ascmclaren.com. Are you referring to the drying up of Capri specific parts? Those are not impossible to find either but definitely are getting a bit scarce. Mustang parts (that also fit the Capri) are still in fairly adequate supply although NEW parts are pretty much gone from Ford. There are some repros here and there though for the stuff that always wears out.

The radio can either be the Alpine 7272 or Kenwood KRC-2001. They come up here and there on ebay.

If I can track down every last part for my car which had NOTHING, you can do it too.

WHAT kind of rear speaker setup do you have? Do you have Kenwood speaker covers? What size/shape are they? Do you have PICTURES of them?

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Hank is running low on some Coupe Specific items.

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
I understand that Hank is running low on some Coupe Specific items.

Not cool. I wonder exactly what parts.

-Mike
Sandy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was evasive 'bout that part Very Happy

PROBSTKR....

1985s NEVER RECEIVED DASH PLAQUES (Coupes, that is...)

Dash plaques were on 1984 Capri Converts & 1987, 1988, 1989 & 1990 Mustang 'Verts.

Passenger exterior bodyside numbered designer plaques were on
1985 & 1986 Capri 'Verts.

Dash Plaques were on 1986 Coupes (Full Packaged) but NOT on EuroCoupes, nor Grand Prix IV Cars.

probstkr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn something new every day; I thought all the ASC/Mclaren cars were numbered. I'm guessing from what I read that the cars were not done in the order they were received by ASC so there is no way of telling which 85 radio you should have. When the car was purchased from a ford dealers used car lot by the previous owner (a friend of mine) he got a really good deal because someone had broken into it on the dealers lot and stole the radio by busting the dash (I helped him replace the dash after he bought the car and we both agreed that the deal wasn't good enough). Long story short I have no idea which radio was originally installed and I am looking for a way for figure out which one is correct.

Mike I don't know which speakers are in the hatch but they do have square Kenwood covers. I don't know if they were original but I do know they were modified by the previous owner. I'll try to get some pics this weekend.

Anyone have any Ideas about the front air dam on my car? Its different than what was used on the other ASC Mclaren coupes I've seen. It's tough to tell from pictures but it almost looks like the ones on the GPIV cars.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air dam is a replacement then. The GP4 cars used the stock Ford air dam. For asc to ship a car without the correct air dam would be sacrilige.

Pictures, pictures, pictures.

-Mike
RARE-ASC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: New to group Reply with quote

probstkr wrote:
Hello all, new member just saying hi. I was a member at Yahoo but just looked around a couple of times and never got involved. I've had my 85 coupe for about 10 years now, but I'm just moving out of the get married-buy a house-have kids-and change a bunch of diapers phase of life when working in the garage and going to car events seems to be ever so unpopular with your spouse. Hopefully going forward I can actually spend some time and money fixing up the car and driving it. I'm looking forward to taping into this great resource you folks have set up here, thanks.

I actually got a chance to wash and wax the coupe last weekend so I posted some pics in my album if anyone is interested.

WELCOME! GLAD TO SEE ANOTHER COUPE OWNER!
2013 FORD F150 RAPTOR "TERRAIN TAN" 4X4 CREW CAB & LIFT ON 37s.
2016 SHELBY MUSTANG GT-H HERTZ EDITION #82 OF 171.
1995 F-350 CREW CAB DUALLY POWERSTROKE FULL BANKS KIT!
probstkr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Mike,

It took me a while but I uploaded the pictures of the rear speakers, speaker covers, and the front air dam to my album.

Kevin
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOOOOOT!!!!! THOSE ARE THE CORRECT SPEAKERS! They have NOT been replaced! They are EXACTLY what Tom had in his car and what probably was in mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The air dam was replaced.

That is cool. That means there are at least TWO confirmed cars with the round speakers and square covers.

-Mike
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please note that those Interior plastic panels that house those round speakers CANNOT BE REPLACED.

The hole is SMALLER than the stock Ford hole which would have appeared on all cars as the Ford rear 5x9 speakers were STANDARD by 1984.

Somehow ASC got Ford to NOT cut rear speaker openings so they could install their own!

Bottom line, do NOT cut those rear panels for "better" speakers or at the very least take them out and store them and hack up some other ones. You are lucky have the correct stuff.

-Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: