ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MD historic license plate regulation change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1984_Capri

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:21 am    Post subject: MD historic license plate regulation change Reply with quote

This is an email I just received from the Maryland MVA and I figured if anyone else here is from MD you should know if you didn't already:

Important information about Maryland registered historic vehicles

Dear Historic Vehicle Owner,

As the owner of a historic vehicle, we want to make you aware of legislation passed by the Maryland General Assembly that goes into effect on Saturday, October 1, 2016. It is important to know that this legislation will impact how historic vehicles may be operated.

Effective October 1, 2016, a Maryland registered historic vehicle may no longer be used for transportation to and from employment, school, or for commercial purposes.

In addition, historic vehicles with a model year of 1986 or newer may be subject to safety equipment repair orders issued at roadside by law enforcement.

Thank you for your compliance with this new Maryland law.

I guess it was a product of everyone in the state registering their old POS that was long overdue for the junkyard with historic tags so they didn't have to inspect it. DDing a car with historic tags probably didn't help either.
99gt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reads a lot like the Virginia rule now, except that we still have to wait until the car is 25 years old to get antique tags. Antique tags get abused a lot.

Dan
1984_Capri

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Maryland, a car only has to be 20 model years old to get "historic" plates. Maryland also offers "street rod" plates, but it has to be 25 years old to qualify for those. The only difference from my understanding is that cars with "street rod" plates have to be "significantly altered from stock" but they don't do an inspection so it really doesn't matter.

You're right about historic plates getting abused. I constantly see people with historic tags on vehicles that are hardly roadworthy. Too bad they ruined it for those of us who would occasionally drive a classic car to work or school.

From what I've heard, after October 1st police are going to be on the look out for anyone with historic tags.
99gt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several county police departments here are already cracking down on antique tags. Fairfax County seems to be the most enthusiastic about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: