ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

85 Interior Touch Up Paint/Dye Color?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
854mfun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: 85 Interior Touch Up Paint/Dye Color? Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and I just bought my first McLaren Capri and have not been able to find and answer to my question by searching old posts. I have a 1985 convertible with the tan interior. My dash pad is cracked so I would like to replace or cover it as well as touch up the paint on the center console insert and the seat belt sleeves. I just am not sure of the exact color or brand of vinyl paint/dye to use. I don't want to guess and have it extremely noticeable. Does anyone know of a brand and color they would recommend?
4-barrel Mike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess that it's '85-89 Mustang Sand Beige: https://lmr.com/item/MET-FV22K/85-89-mustang-interior-paint-kit-sand-beige

Mike
854mfun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check it out. Thanks Mike.
svo413

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Tan Interior Paint Reply with quote

I posted this a while back.

Tan Interior Paint for 85

The best I found is SEMs Classic Coast, color Medium Parchment, 17053, FMC BJCA. The can tops are not a close match to the paint. It took me a couple of cans to find the right one as the plastic cap can be misleading. Used it on the dash pad.

I used it on the seat belt sleeves but it gets scraped off a bit. I tried the adhesion promoter and it was only slightly better. I even left the parts to sit for a month before using them. These were repro gray seat belt sleeves.

The Duplicolor paint was a good match but too glossy for the dash.

Most of the premixed colors from Mustang suppliers seem to be lacquer based paints which are really only good for hard surfaces that do not flex.

Try to not use a sun burned dash as they never seem to fully cover the dark brown patches.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
854mfun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some great information. Thanks for the help Kevin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: