ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maintenance on my 1986 5.0SC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
birdiestobehad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Maintenance on my 1986 5.0SC Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to taking care of a bunch of nagging issues (window motors, door rattles, speedo cable chirp, windows not sealing tight to the top gaskets, etc.) I've been having or have developed over the past year, as all of a sudden one morning the motor started running very badly. Car was running great on a Friday and it sat all weekend with bad weather, then Monday morning when I started it up, it revved up to over 2000 then almost stall and rev again and almost stall, over and over. Anyway, I thought it was my TPS sensor, as I had a similar issue 5 years ago. The wife (ex Army mechanic) thought it was a vacuum issue. Took it to my regular mechanics and they couldn't get it figured out. My guys have been pretty good keeping it running, but admittedly, don't work on too many 30+ year old cars and were not comfortable working on the other issues as they were worried about damaging things (they didn't charge me for the work they did since they couldn't get it fixed, that's why we like them!). I had been looking for car restoration shop (not a speed shop) for the past few months and got a lot of "not interested" responses. Very frustrating. So a week or so before the engine issues started, I called a shop in Mooresville, "Vintage Restorations", about 30 minutes north of downtown Charlotte and talked with Tony Merk, the owner. He was interested in helping with the issues I was having. I called him after my shop said they couldn't fix it and we made arrangements to drop the car off that weekend. Well he looked at it during the week and had it ready the next Tuesday. So here's what we did:

- Engine issue was the MAP sensor and the TPS being a bit "wonky". Replaced both.
-Popped the door cards and took care of the balky motors/regulators. Replaced the passenger door motor as it was having intermittent electrical issues. I believe he cambered the windows in a bit to help with the seals. All this seems to have helped, with the rattles in the doors, as it is rattle free.
-Adjusted the passenger door hinge, as the door had a bit of sag and the top was out about a quarter inch. I used to get a bit of water in at the top of the window, but it sits snug to the seals now. Hinge was in great shape, just sagged a bit over time.
-Fixed the speedo cable chirp
-Took care of the glove box light. He thought it was causing a "trickle" drain on the battery, as I've had three batteries in 5 years.
-A great detailing job! I had shoulder surgery a couple of months ago and haven't been able to do a lot of cleaning.

Well, thanks for letting me go on! I hope everyone has a great spring and get your ascMcLaren out and enjoy the driving! It's been so nice the past couple of weeks having a quiet drive (especially with the top down).

Terry
1986 'vert #118
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: