ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ASC B cam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyle

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: ASC B cam Reply with quote

So I pulled my engine out a few months back because it leaked really bad thinking i would just replace the seals and put it back in. One thing lead to another and its basically getting shelved for a new one. While tearing it down i decided to pull the cam out and see if its a B cam or not, if so i was going to put it in the new engine im building (the engine i pulled has almost no miles on it, everything is in great shape, it just has the 86 flat top pistons). Sadly, its not a B cam, so at least my 109 is just a factory 86 capri in the engine compartment. Makes me feel less bad about taking it out.
1986 ascMclaren Coupe #105

Initial success or total failure - AF EOD
dime_store_pony wrote:
granddaddy said "son, clowns wear bowties and if'n i ever catch ya in one
i'll take a picture and show all the girls"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
ChuckG

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes, what, 100% no B cams so far?

Just a wish sheet rumor that got elevated to "fact".

Ford would NEVER had faced the re certification of that engine or fines for slipping stuff through, yer the rumor is taken as gospel.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, looks like it never really made it to production.

I agree, why would Ford go to the trouble to make special engine builds for a small handful of cars?

I would still have liked to know if any of the early 85s were played with at asc at all. That's probably the only place they would have gotten speed parts, not at Ford.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
ChuckG

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in '84, there were some shenanigans on the first few at McLaren engines.

I did see one '84 in 1985 that had been seriously tampered with, but to my knowledge, during '85 and '86, ASC wasn't doing engine mods. That came along with the GNX, but even then, who paid for the certifications and spread over 500+ that's more reasonable than 150 and 115 (each year, recerification)

From what I know of the motor, the problem wasn't the cam--it was plenty stout. Changing the OEM timing gear and removing the 6 degrees of retard would have helped without a ton of work, as would an intake swap, even better shorty headers.

The power problem lay in the upper end. Changing a cam would have had minimal effect.
ChuckG

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in '84, there were some shenanigans on the first few at McLaren engines.

I did see one '84 in 1985 that had been seriously tampered with, but to my knowledge, during '85 and '86, ASC wasn't doing engine mods. That came along with the GNX, but even then, who paid for the certifications and spread over 500+ that's more reasonable than 150 and 115 (each year, recerification)

From what I know of the motor, the problem wasn't the cam--it was plenty stout. Changing the OEM timing gear and removing the 6 degrees of retard would have helped without a ton of work, as would an intake swap, even better shorty headers.

The power problem lay in the upper end. Changing a cam would have had minimal effect.
Kyle

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the strange part is the cam is definitely a stock cam at .444 lift, but, it seemed to pull way harder then my last 86 capri, and it also pulled really strong past the 4800rpm peak, it pulled well up to 6k, a little beyond actually. One thing with the motor is it was in great shape. The odo said it had 48k miles on it, but it wasnt the 140 speedo so i figure its wrong, but the cam lobes had no wear at all, the lifters were in great shape, and the cylinder bores still had cross hatching on them. There is a chance, a small one, that this isnt the original engine, although ive owned it for what, the last 11 years or so, and why anyone would put an 86 engine back in the car is beyond me. If I'm going to pull it to rebuild it, i wouldnt put oem 86 pistons back in it, or the e6 heads, e7s are to cheap, so it may be the original.

dime_store_pony wrote:
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the back of the motor will be some letters and numbers that will have the year and vin#

lost of good info in this tread to help

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?179596-Is-my-engine-stock
ChuckG

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember: E6 pistons do not get along with most heads.

My '85 seemed much stronger than my '86. Dunno. My current '85 seems about the same as my 2017 Escape 2.0T Sad. It's running right, but leaf blowers have 250HP and a gear today.

I did bump the timing two degrees on either, but why it felt stronger, couldn't say.

If that timing chain was ever changed, there may be your answer. Ford retarded the cam six degrees for emissions. An aftermarket timing gear offered an easy performance boost.
Kyle

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took the original out, didnt want to mess with the piston crap, its sitting under my workbench in the garage. The E6 heads likewise are going in the garbage most likely. I got an engine out of a 91 in the junkyard, its in good shape, not alot of wear. now im just looking for heads, gt40 or gt40p most likely, id rather have the gt40s, but the P's will do if i have to

dime_store_pony wrote:
ChuckG

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a roller motor for my '66 FB from S&J Engines. I went with the '93-94 three-bar GT40 heads. I had them ported too.

I kinda wanted to stick with iron heads because I'm trying for an authentic period look. I understand they will flow about as well as out of the box AFRs in street use. For what they are, the AFRs are downright reasonable--as are the Edlebrocks.

Dealer's choice on which is the better option if you're starting with no heads. I see three-bar heads go for $400 and P&P is another $400+. Sure, I lost 20HP in situations I will never be in--all-out racing. I'm okay with that. The $800 I saved went into other stuff.

I'm pairing it with a Comp Cams 280HR. I'm told to expect about 350HP. I didn't go with an alphabet cam because a Ford engineer told me cam science has advanced a great deal in the 35 years since those were designed.

The GT40P of course requires a specific header because the plug angle is different.

Here's a decent article where I learned a little.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/engine/1504-how-to-build-an-easy-400hp-333ci-small-block-on-a-budget/
Kyle

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im estimating 300HP with mine, GT40 heads and intake, 65mm TB, 24# injectors, trick flow stage 1 cam. Just using the factory MAF for now, not sure i need larger.

dime_store_pony wrote:
ChuckG

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could be a little more efficient with the larger MAF, but much over 325 and you risk breaking stuff too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: