ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Care during prolonged storage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knsstang

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Care during prolonged storage Reply with quote

Hello all..I have to admit that i don't drive my Mclaren as much as I should. I have a motorcycle so I spend most of my time on it. My question is ..What is neccessary for prolonged storage/minimal driving? I have driven it less than 500 miles in the last 8 years. My tires have been on the car since 2005. I drove it around the block today(not registered, hasn't been registered since 2015). What are the recommendations for this kind of storage? It's in my garage under a car cover. I think I might start it once a summer.
1989 Royal Gold Metallic #095 (225Hp)
2016 Kawasaki ZX14R (199.9Hp) (26,200 miles)
2013 Kia Optima (275Hp)
2012 GMC Yukon Denali (403Hp)
McLarry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe try to register it first then take it for a long drive once you fixed the registration.
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change the coolant it goes bad and can cause corrosion. Also the Gas goes bad from sitting even with stabilizer in it. The moisture in the tank causes rust. Most say a Full tank is better then a empty tank. But then after a long storage you may have to have the tank emptied before you can add fresh. Pull Battery

My best advice drive it 1 week a year to but fresh gas and keep the seals lubed. Say Woodward Dream cruise week and get the most enjoyment from it.
knsstang

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumkrazy wrote:
Change the coolant it goes bad and can cause corrosion. Also the Gas goes bad from sitting even with stabilizer in it. The moisture in the tank causes rust. Most say a Full tank is better then a empty tank. But then after a long storage you may have to have the tank emptied before you can add fresh. Pull Battery

My best advice drive it 1 week a year to but fresh gas and keep the seals lubed. Say Woodward Dream cruise week and get the most enjoyment from it.

That seems simple enough... Should I put battery on tender in the basement?, Or on tender while in car so I can start it once per month?
2013 Kia Optima (275Hp)
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always worried about the tender burning up or overcharging the battery and Acid on frame rails. If storage is Cold I would say Inside where you can keep I eye on it. Also Cold is harder on batteries. Being Fuel injected it should start easy compared to Carb. car. And starting once a month is not really bad but car never really dries out. I would unhook coil and crank without starting and that pumps the oil before the RPM's go up.

I keep my batteries in my attached garage and move the tender every so often to the next battery. 3 or 4 lawn batteries and 3 or 4 car batteries. And usually do not start anything till April or March when it's closer to 50 degrees on what feels like a HOT day. lol
capri50asc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Storage tips for your cars Reply with quote

After owning many classic cars over the years, some which I still have for over 35 years. I have the best information here:

1) Never wash your car before storing it away. The car should be dry and have no water in the doors, moldings or a wet top.

2) If you have a convertible gentle brush the top.

3) lube all hinges, locks , moving parts with a spray lube (motor coat)

4) Air up tire to 32 psi. If possible lift tires off the ground to prevent flat spots. or drive car once a month.

5) change oil 10w 30w with motor coat additive

6) Fill gas tank with 91 octane with Sta-bal 360 good for a clean fuel system, prevents ethanol damage and increase mpg also add STP gas treatment, the 20 gallon bottle

7) Buy 6 bars of Irish Spring soap. Put two in the interior and a half bar on the top of the tires. and two on the intake. Put a note on your dash!
The mice will not go near your car.

Cool Close your A/C Heater system by moving it to off

9) Set up mice traps on the garage floor for added protection.

10) Remove your radiator cap and replace it with RAD-CAP can be purchased from National parts Depot. This has a Sacrificial Anode spring loaded cap that goes deep in the radiator and pulls the destructive electrolysis out. Works like a Hot water tank in your home. Part number 952-13 13 LBS $15.00 dollars

11) Hook up a Delran Battery Tender for 12 volts 750 mA use the fuses system hook up and a circuit beaker to your wall hook up.

12) Use a good car cover that "Breaths" Never cover a car that was washed in the past 7 days.

13) Add to your radiator a good water pump lube and prevents rust.

14) Check all fluids and belts and hoses.

15 Clean interior and applie a good coat of Armor all to the dash, door panels ans a leather protector like LEXOL

16) Keep your garage clean!

17)Note: the type of Gasoline used these days is only good for 60-90 days
the Ethanol will break down. If you can take your car out in the Winter months use as much gas as you can and refill the tank. When spring come get fresh fuel in the car quickly. Old gas can damage the tank with rust and if you have a electric fuel it can damage it also. (Dry Days)

Good Luck
Chris

86 ASC McLaren vert #0082
86 Mercury Capri RS
73 Cougar
15 Ford Fusion
14 Honda Ridgeline RTL

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
knsstang

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the information.. Will do
2013 Kia Optima (275Hp)
svo413

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:53 am    Post subject: Battery Reply with quote

Do not use a trickle charger on your battery while storing your car. $10,000 later I now know better. It's cheaper to buy a new battery every year than to deal with the damage. I posted this here a while back.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
knsstang

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got the car registered. Will gas evaporate over a 2 year span? I was in my garage one day this summer, started the car and moved it out. There was a big stain on the floor. I thought it was moisture from the hot weather in Michigan we were having. When I finally drove the car, I ran out of gas on the second day( I stored it full) of small trips. Put gas in it and no leaks from tank. I know I stored it full of gas. Does it evaporate?
2013 Kia Optima (275Hp)
svo413

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Gas Reply with quote

No. Gas should not evaporate any measurable amount. Not sure about E85.

Ma6be the gas tank grommet is bad.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
knsstang

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Gas Reply with quote

svo413 wrote:

The fluid on my garage floor ended up being axel lube. Last time I had it filled they didn't put a gasket on it, just used RTV sealant. We'll see what happens in 2 years lol!
2013 Kia Optima (275Hp)
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas Reply with quote

knsstang wrote:
svo413 wrote:

The fluid on my garage floor ended up being axel lube. Last time I had it filled they didn't put a gasket on it, just used RTV sealant. We'll see what happens in 2 years lol!

I think it's not supposed to have a gasket at least from the factory...but I went to a gasket because it does seal better and my rear diff was rusty and leaking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: