ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ASC McLaren - Mercury Capris (1986)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: ASC McLaren - Mercury Capris (1986) Reply with quote

Hi all, my father in law owns one of those asc maLarens. He picked one, that's being restored in a shop for us (he knows the owner there). Anyways, we need a new water pump for it and guys say that we need a pump that is 700 bucks, man. Now, on e-bay I found the pump slightly over $50. So can someone please tell me if there is any technical difference? I see the different colors and stuff. Yet will the cheaper one work okay on the vehicle?

Any help is appreciated, folks, as I am not that knowledgeble on those ASCs, that's why came to ask you folks help me please. You know, I feel it may be a ripoff...
Max85

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

700 bucks - https://www.carid.com/1986-mercury-capri-performance-engine-cooling/meziere-enterprises-300-series-high-flow-electric-water-pump-262155983.html?parentsubmodel[]=ENGINE|5.0L
ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Water-Pump-Water-Pump-Performance-GATES-43272P/361484374613?epid=76182932&hash=item542a25d255:g:XCwAAOSw63FZ9dET&vxp=mtr
Kendal Coker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the cheep one, never heard of having to have an electric water pump. I changed the one on the 85 DGPC I had and I got it at auto zone. I saved the original in case someone wanted to rebuild it but it was not electric, looked just like the one I took off. Doesn't sound like knowing the owner is helping out any.
Kentennis

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: water pump Reply with quote

If it didn't come from the factory with an electric pump why would you want one now and they don't just bolt in either. Other parts have to be shimmed.
plumkrazy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless its a F1 Mclaren I would consider pulling the car from that body shop. 302 water pumps are a dime a dozen. I would hate to see his paint bill.
CocoLoco

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a new water pump put on my 85 ASC vert a few months ago. Definitely not electric. Pump was about 150 and I bought all new bolts from CJ Pony Parts. Bad news was one bolt was so corroded that they had to pull everything, cut it, drill it out, etc. Labor was costly but given the troubles, I doubt I could have done it myself. Not your typical water pump replacement that I have done on other cars.
1985 Red ascMcLaren Convertible #218
1990 Seafoam Auqa ascMcLaren Convertible #263
2001 Yellow Mustang Convertible
1977 Red Bonneville Coupe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: