ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STOCK or some modifications? - what is your McLaren?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7ftbill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: STOCK or some modifications? - what is your McLaren? Reply with quote

Currently my '86 is 100% stock (drivetrain wise), I still have cats and probably the original exhaust.

Do you think having it slightly modified detracts from the value of your vehicle?

I want to pull the emissions clutter out of the vehicle but I am curious what others have done. Eventually I would change/rebuild the top half of the engine, but would hate to do that if it would be detrimental to the vehicle value.

Just curious what others have done...
svo413

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Stock Reply with quote

Mine are both stock. As for the value, unless it’s a low mileage car, it probably does not greatly affect the value.

The reality is there is no Concours judging on Mercury cars unless you are doing Aaca.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
ChuckG

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping my '85 rock-stock. Even had the OE hoses when I got it.
Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exterior of my 86 is going to stay stock forever, its a one of a kind. Motor however, not so much. I just finished rebuilding it, it now has mass air, 24# injectors, 65mm throttle body, gt40 intake, ported e7 heads, 76mm MAF housing, and sct chip. Didn't want to go to big because the stock tire size is fairly small, but I pulled it to rebuild it, might as well make it a bit better, the 86 motor has some poor design choices.
1986 ascMclaren Coupe #105

Initial success or total failure - AF EOD
dime_store_pony wrote:
granddaddy said "son, clowns wear bowties and if'n i ever catch ya in one
i'll take a picture and show all the girls"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
CocoLoco

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as value, purely in the eye of the purchaser. Some like stock, some don't care, some my like it better. For me, I'm a stock guy. I have tried to keep my 2 as original as possible. My 01 Mustang on the other hand, has tons of mods. It's your car - do what you makes you happy.
1985 Red ascMcLaren Convertible #218
1990 Seafoam Auqa ascMcLaren Convertible #263
2001 Yellow Mustang Convertible
1977 Red Bonneville Coupe
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrestled with this question, myself--I think we all have.

At first, I wasn't crazy about the ASC ground effects and I wanted to go with the Capri RS lower air dam with Saleen side skirts and rear valance. I also wanted to do the 5 lug swap with 4 wheel disk brakes.

Then, I started to feel that... if i made those changes and got rid of the original ASC rims, then it wouldn't really be a factory car and the nuances ASC did wouldn't be the same.

That, and doing the 5 lug swap on a lowered 86 is a real PITA. And expensive. The Ground effects I wanted were more expensive than the ASC ones, too.

So, I decided to keep mine stock LOOKING. I have made a few changes that we all really should be doing--I added front and rear shock tower braces and weld-on sub frame connectors. Those are by far the best modifications you can do.

I had to do some upgrades to modernize the car like updating the A/C to 134 and I replaced the tired original radiator with an aluminum one. I went with the same size radiator so it looks like the original, I still need to paint it black.

I had to replace my exhaust, so I went with a new set of cat-backs with the stainless 87-93 tips. I figured that wouldn't make too much of a difference.

On the interior, I have a charcoal roadster, which is rare. The seats were the standard Mustang seats covered with ASC leather. Henry doesn't have that style covers, and I wasn't ready to shell out (around) $1000 to get custom covers made--to match the original ASC covers with the logo. So, I got a set of vinyl charcoal covers and stretched them on my seats. It was cheap and functional and looks right. It also will buy me time until I feel like getting the seat covers made.

I have a set of SVO seats that are period correct and would be much better than the standard seats I have. I'm probably going to get those recovered in the two-tone leather with the ASC logo stitched in the back. That would be pretty sporty and look right.

Now, the door panels are a different story. Henry doesn't have charcoal ASC panels, so I'm kind of stuck with the ones that came on the car, the 86 mustang GT panels. I think the look pretty good, so I'm OK keeping them.

I would like to get the Recaro seats. I don't think they are very good looking , but they are custom for the car. Again, they don't have charcoal covers for them, so I would have to get custom ones made. In addition, the seats are anywhere from $500-1500 a pair UNCOVERED and the heat and stereo probably don't work, anyway.

I didn't like the wood grain dash, so I replaced it with the standard 86 grey dash parts. It looks MUCH better, but.. the interior is so...grey, now.
67 Mustang GTA Convt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: