ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

86 vert top pulldown question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
7ftbill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: 86 vert top pulldown question Reply with quote

I have my car at a convertible top place, I knew the top needed to be adjusted so I've never put it down yet.
The switch in the back that shows an up/down arrow is basically just solenoid trunk popper that unlatched the fiberglass cover and releases the top.
My ignorance to this, I thought the switch controls a motor that would pull down the top and latch it.
Am I completely crazy?
Did someone modify this car before me?

Can anyone with an 84-86 post a video of their top operation?
birdiestobehad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you press the up arrow (top of switch), that releases the tonneau cover. When you press the down arrow (bottom of switch) and hold it, that will extend and retract the inverted metal "U" part that the top latches into. All this must be done with the ignition key inserted and turned to the accessory position.

At least that is the way mine currently operates. I had to replace my pull down motor several years ago and as I recall the extension and retraction were just a bit different than the original.

Of course you may have issues with the motor not extending and retracting, but the release may work.

Here is a link to the operation manual. Go to the Service Manuals, Tonneau Cover.

http://www.ascmclaren.com/diagrams.htm

Good Luck
1986 'vert #118
7ftbill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I read the "how to take your top down" post in the info section that someone posted but there was no "how to get it back up" haha.

Since I had no experience with it, and the installer I was working with had done a few tops on these, I don't think he knew about the pulldown - I mentioned something to him about flipping the key on and hitting the switch and he was like no, it's all mechanical. I need to see if my pull down is there and working this evening.
7ftbill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled down the top today, my pull down motor does run, but it does not move.

someone has definitely been in here (see pic)
https://imgur.com/wvyWfy6

I will have to see what is going on with this when I can get into the trunk - whole 'nother story.

I would still be very appreciative if someone can post a quick vid (through you tube or something) of the correct procedure of putting the top up - specifically when to latch the back bow into the tonneau cover.

thx!
capri50asc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Top help Reply with quote

PM Message sent to help you

Chris Smile
svo413

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Top pull down Reply with quote

You can operate the top without running the pull down motor. Press the up button to release the tonneau. Stick you fingers under it and lift it up about 2 inches. This will release the rear baron the top. Push the top forward to flip the tonneau cover.

Just do the reverse to put the top up. No need the push the button. It may take a couple of tries to get the bow hook seated deep enough. I have been doing this for years.

That reminds me, I should fix my pull down motor wiring.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
ChuckG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If needed, I know where a new one can be had.
7ftbill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will need one Chuck, however have you guys watched the video about these being a GM pull down motor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6hwhW69cxI
4-barrel Mike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search this site. Lots of info including parts numbers for purchasing cheaply from Rockauto.com

Mike
capri50asc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Pull down motor Reply with quote

Easy install I carry a back up in the trunk of my 86 ASC conv with a tool kit made to do on the road Check ebay and Amazon has a replacement made by Dorman 747-000 its about $60.00

Its your back that's not forgiving Rolling Eyes
CG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: