ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replaced trunk latch pull wire. What a pain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Replaced trunk latch pull wire. What a pain Reply with quote

My pull wire was splitting and my trunk release was working intermittently, so I decided to be on the safe side and replace the pull wire. I called Hank and he doesn't have new ones, but thought he might have had a used one. He suggested that I use picture hanging wire to replace the wire. I am a sailor and I build all the rigging for my boats, so I have the swaging tools and fittings, I just didn't know a source for the wire--it is too small for any sailing application.

So, I bought some wire at Home Depot and proceeded to take the pull wire tube OUT OF THE CAR.

BAD mistake, it was really easy to run the wire through the tube and a complete PITA to snake it back from the trunk to the storage compartment area. I should have just left it in the car and pushed the wire though..

I had some sailboat rigging lying around that was flexible but still pretty stiff so, after about 2 hours of trying to get it through the stupid little access hole on the side, I finally got it to go back to the trunk, where I taped the tube to it and then pulled it back through. Note--I tried using a fish tape, but it wouldn't make the turn to go over the wheel well.

That was about 4 hours of my life I'll never get back.

I also found that I wasn't closing the tonneau all the way so the stopper (limiter?) switch wasn't engaging so the trunk button wouldn't work. Nice safety feature, but I wish I would have looked at it earlier. I'll have to adjust the stops so the tonneau will sit flat with the trunk...

I think if I do this again, I'll use fishing leader wire--it is stainless and much tougher, I feel like the picture wire is too flexible and won't last.
67 Mustang GTA Convt
birdiestobehad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my release cable in 2012 and posted here on the steps I went through hoping it would help anyone who needed to do the same:

http://www.ascmclaren.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4309&highlight=trunk+release

My cable actually split, but enough was left that, after removing the stowage box, I was able to tape the new to the old to pull through. This made running the new cable a snap. The service manual info on Henry's site was also invaluable.

From Henry's site I just ordered the "emergency release cable" he still shows on the "Interior Parts" section of his site (but maybe he hasn't updated his web page).
1986 'vert #118
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: