ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trunk Light for Roadster??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Trunk Light for Roadster?? Reply with quote

I was frolicking in a salvage yard this weekend and came across an 83 Mustang with a hood light. My 86 doesn't have one--I think it may have been removed. So, I snagged the light off the Mustang.

I then thought about the trunk light thinking mine may have been removed. I know ASC used a coupe trunk lid, so I thought they were just lazy and cut the wire for the trunk light and didn't install it.

So, I picked up a trunk light off of an 86 Mustang coupe.

Then... on the way home, I started to think that the car started out with a hatch back so they wouldn't have had a trunk light to begin with. I think I read somewhere that they used the trunk light wiring for the top pull down motor? I also remember reading that maybe they used the defrost for the pull down motor which would make more sense because it would require more power.

I haven't checked on my car, yet--I keep it in a storage unit. Can the factory trunk light be installed? Did the hatchback wiring even have a plug for it?
67 Mustang GTA Convt
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. No wiring.

Pretty sure anyways. I reworked all the wiring in the rear of my car and the only light is from the dome light.

No extra wires back there that I can remember or I would have worried over them.

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
capri50asc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Rear hatch light / vert light Reply with quote

I added a light in the back my 86 Capri 5.0l RS I pulled one out of a old 84 EXP The wiring is in the back near the latch with a button , you can then cut a square and just pop it in. wire in the positive and the ground and it will work with the doors open and the hatch. Plus turning the knob on your light switch.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,As for adding one to your 84-86 ASC Capri vert. or 88-90 ASC Mustang...........just turn on the parking lights...The license plate lights in the deck lid will light up your trunk...............That how Ford/Mercury designed it!!!!

Chris
86MclarenCapri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's genius!

Or, possibly that they got lucky and came up with the idea to use the license plate lights after the fact.

I'll get to the bottom of it this weekend..
67 Mustang GTA Convt
Desrosier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

86MclarenCapri wrote:
That's genius!

Or, possibly that they want something like these #1 rangefinders for hunting and got lucky and came up with the idea to use the license plate lights after the fact.

I'll get to the bottom of it this weekend..

You can use the license plate lights for this? I had no idea.

Last edited by Desrosier on Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
svo413

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Light Reply with quote

I don’t recall what ASC did. The regular mustang trunk light can be added. The actual switch is in the light socket. The coupe and convertible harness should be an easy upgrade. I picked up one on eBay but have not installed it yet.
85 ASC Vert #612205
88 ASC Vert #542 20,550 miles
84 SVO 24,000 miles, 84 GT Turbo Vert.
03 Mach I, 89 LX Vert, 74 Mustang II
14 CA Special, 69 Mustang coupe, 07 GT500
67 T-bird, 15 F150 Tuscany, 16 F250
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> ASC Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: