ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New 86 asc Coupe Speakers/Grills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: New 86 asc Coupe Speakers/Grills Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-NEW-Kenwood-KFC-6960-Car-Stereo-Speakers-with-box-Old-School/254639290921?hash=item3b49af3a29:g:DgsAAOSwKzpe-oN9

Not my auction.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
fascat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear speakers in my coupe are different than those ones. Mine has the Kenwood KFC-6977 like the ones you have posted on your website. I would like to find a new set of those ones. Were both types offered? Just curious.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure. But yours are definitely the ones I think Sandy had on his car.

Best I can figure is that ASC was not always consistent as especially in 85 I've seen a few different radios and speakers.

These in the auction would still pass in my book.

Yours are really hard to find I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
fascat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation. They are the same as the ones in Sandy's car which leads me to believe they are original for my car. It does seem like ASC used what was available at that time. I don't think I have ever seen a pair of the 6977s for sale. Be nice to find a new set.

Thanks again for replying and all you do for this site and your site. I always look at your site for reference. I used your write up on the map light to get mine working.
ChuckG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All three of my Coupes came with KFC-6970s in the rear.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm mmm.... KFC speakers.....tasty.

Lol. I thought it was a typo but it isn't. Lol.
fascat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it could be related to when they were produced. Mine is #77 and Sandy's is #109. Later in the run. I believe Chuck's first coupe was an '85 as well as his current coupe being and '85. And his '86 coupe was #23 if I remember correctly. Possible Kenwood changed models and designs.

Did someone say KFC? Haven't had that in a long time.
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Coupe is an early 85 vin. It had SQUARE kenwood covers and 6" round holes in the back. So if Chuck had 6x9 Kenwoods in his 85's then yeah, they grabbed whatever decent Kenwood stuff they could get.

Somewhere in 85 Ford stopped producing rear panels without the speaker holes. Ford started cutting 5x8 holes which are smaller than 6x9 but still bigger than a 6" round.

The SVO comp-prep cars would have no speakers in the back and no rear speaker holes for 84/85. Somewhere in 85 and all of 86 Ford put speaker delete plates in the SVO...because I'm pretty sure they had to due to the change in the panels all coming with holes.
ChuckG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the production date of my original '85 bought in July '85 It was on the lot, I remember that.

You're right, my '86 was #23 and my current '85 went to ASC in August of '85.

There was a rumor back when that when they ran short, the guys at the Autry plant ran down to Car Tunes a few miles south and grabbed stuff. Seems plausible. I still go to that very Car Tunes.
ChuckG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, my 85 1/2 SVO has factory Premium Sound. Original rears were 5x7. I replaced them with 6x8 JBLs and used the factory covers. Slid right in. You have to look close to see a hint of orange from the tweeter to see they're not OE.

Dunno if adding the 6x9 required any cutting at ASC. Expect it did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Classifieds All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: