ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOSPITAL UPDATE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: HOSPITAL UPDATE Reply with quote

AFTER 7 hours at the hospital - yesterday - I got some good news. (and some bad news, too).
The good:-
All of my numbers that measure the amount of cancer cells in one's body, in me, are now at the levels of persons who had ZERO cancer within their body. If I entered another hospital, for cancer testing, I would come up "clean". That's the good part, now the bad....
I had a MRI Cat Scan. The Cat Scan showed fading (but still visable "spots" on my liver. Dr. says that I have to continue with Avastin & Chemo. (This is terrible. The Avastin doesn't really bother me, but the Chemo raises holy hell with many selected parts of one's body, especially (in me) hands & fingers and dizzy spells.
Dr just about killed me, yesterday. I expected to be all done, but no. He will keep on the chemo/avastin infusions, perhaps for the next 2 years Shocked
The "spots" on my liver, while fading, are not GONE, and w/out chemo & avastin, they can re-activate. They have to be totally gone, and then I get a PET SCAN, and if they are not visable under the more high powered all telling PET SCAN then, then I am done! This can be 2 years away !! !!
CRAP ! It's like the spots are sleeping. Stopping the Chemo can cause the spots to "awaken" for loss of a better word....and the cancer will re-activate. So..... the long & the short of it all, we continue with ever other Wednesday a 2.5 hour infusion, followed by being sick the Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday thereafter, or sick 10-11 days a month, probably for the next 2 years.
My perfect numbers indicate that we (he) is on the right track, but it takes a long time. Cancer cells are a bear to totally wipe out, as they go dormant, and dormant is not good enough, totally gone is the goal.
The fact that my numbers are perfection, proves he is on the right track, which is good.
So, my months contain about 20 days to be functional, and 10-12 days pretty freakin' ill.
I see some really ill people there, each time. It's very depressing. The women seem to get it worse than the men. Many woman confined to wheel chairs, bald headed from chemo (I have kept all my hair, but lost it on my legs, which were never very hairy to begin with). The poor women really suffer. One of whom is about 24 years of age and very very pretty
and extremely advanced and if she makes it, she is probably 5 years away from that point.
Cancer IS an epidemic here in New Jersey / New York area.
I did not see my Rabbi nor my Priest, this past Wednesday.
I am dizzy today, and cannot drive. I don't like being driven. I will be okay by Saturday, late afternoon.....(usually).
I am now at # 5 numbers-wise which is perfect. Now to only get rid of the faint spots on my liver, which have to be completely gone, so that when the chemo is stopped, they do not re-activate and grow. Long haul for them. Crying or Very sad

1990 Final Car prior to the 12 Silver Anny Editions
1990 Silver Pearl Anny Edition
1986 Coupe Full Pkg #109 of 114.

http://public.fotki.com/ascmclaren/ascmclaren_capris/sandys_mclarens/
mark@ddi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Chemo Reply with quote

Sandy;

The good days will outnumber the bad by about 2-1? Every ggod day is a treasure.

Can they put some Vodka in the infusion?? About 50/50?

Hang in there.
ckj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep fighting Sandy. It sounds like you are doing good!
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ya, vodka in the infusion! Sudden death 4-sure.
Those poor folks with LUNG cancer or BRAIN cancer
have the least hope. Mine was in the desending colon,
sometimes called the exit ramp siht shute !

I got it (gave it to myself) by being so scared to death of having a colonoscopy, as I had never had any invasive surgery. When I finally saw blood spotting on my crap.....it was too late.

IF you are over age 48, get a colonoscopy every 3 rd year, over 52 evwery other year. You will never know, nor feel nothing, should you get a tiny little polyp (COMMON over 47) as there's no sign of trouble.....UNTIL there IS trouble, and then it's too late and you will need ther 3 hour surgery I had and then this chemo-fest for 1,2 or 3 years....The small, and i AM TELLING YOU ALL THE TRUTH, small discomfort is a little nothing compared to what I am going thru, and there are MANY far far worse off than I.
STOP SMOKING, too. Cancer seeks out the weakest spot to attack. Lungs weakened by tobacco are very very attractive to cancer cells.
Lung cancer is almost a certain death. Ditto, Brain Cancer. Consume very little booze and never get drunk, it slowly kills off brain cells !
It just ain't worth it, really!

I was a lucky one. I smoked cigarettes for 35 years and then took up cigars, dropping cigarettes and smoked cigars for 6 years. Quit cold turkey last year. My lungs are AAA perfect.

I will make it. It's gonna be a loooong 18 months. I dread winter, when it get cold. I may not be anble to leave the house November-Mid-April.

negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you beat this. So sorry to hear all the effort it is taking to get it done with!

-Mike
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why I am telling, explaining, begging all of the good people on here, if they are in their late 40s (or older) RUN, don't walk to get a colonoscopy ASAP. It can and will save your life.
I am lucky that the cancer cells stayed in my colon, and when they let loose, went to my liver. yes, you don't want them in your liver, but it can be cured there, just takes a looong time & much suffering, but the suffering is on & off, not constant. In between we have some really good days.....but you can NEVER make permanent plans to do something with others. BUMMER.
But if it goes to your brain and/or your lungs, your cances for survival are pretty poor. Quit smoking / Drink very little / Never get drunk, it damages brain cells. Cancer likes the least road of battle and can & will seek out weak places to strike, and have a colonoscopy after age 47, at the very least every 2-3 years. Don't fool around. ESPECIALLY if you are in NJ NY or Pa., or Ohio !!
I cannot go out this holiday weekend. I am DiZzY and cannot drive, and am a bit afraid of steps. So I am "in"
Thanks to all of you for the good wishes! It means alot Laughing

capriman86

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the bad days are not too bad. I am glad to hear things are still
recovering. Thats the best news.

I lost my dad to this shyt....Its not fun to go through or watch someone go through.

Best wishes and stay strong.
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you

In between, on the good days, I am trying to get my 3 McLarens serviced (they really need it) and ditto the '93 Sixty Special, thatneeds a completel cooling system flush and the Azura Blue McLaren for the same total servicing that thr Silver Anniversary just had 3 weeks ago. Too many children to care for ~~ Wink
I am giving up my fancy schmancy $335.05 @ month heated, air conditioned, 24/7 Pinkerton Security Dehumidified garage in the enclosed all brick & concrete fire proof, individual stall, with your supplied lock on a steel door with a fire alarm and water douce at safe & secure classic car emporium, as I cannot afford it any longer! I keep the Sixty Special, there. I got a new place. A nice, clean 1 car garage, no heat, no A/C in a private home 4 miles from me. It locks & has a power door. In the back of a private home. $125.00 @ month. No heat No A/C No dehumidifier, and no interior light. Just a power door and a turn handle to lock. It's a 2-car, but with a wall divider.

rlyons13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,

You should have did what I did and have your large instestine removed. No colon, no crime.

Good luck Sandy. Two years of chemo is better than eternity of nothingness.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
tfs2121

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy im so sorry to hear that things didnt go as you pland. i hope you are feeling better tonight. maybe you can catch a peek at some fireworks
75coug

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the good news, and best of luck with the additional chemo. I don't envy you that extended journey.

1989 ascMcLaren convertible - royal gold
1986 ascMcLaren convertible - red
1984 ascMcLaren convertible - white
Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh God, I am so sick this AM. Chemo suckxxxxx
99% of the people wanna barf, really badly. That's the only side effect that I don't have.
Numb fingers, number toes, DiZzY spells, cannot drive 2-today, that's 4 sure. two teeth are getting loose. They are caps. I will probably loose them.

No desire to eat. Tomorrow I will be better, each day gets a little better.
By day 8 you are near 99% perfect. On day # 13 you start over.....

Sandy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's the 4th of July. Never a good day for me. My Mom died on this day, in 1995, at age 80 & 6 months from Altzheimer's.
Normally, I'd go to the cemetary, say a prayer, meditate a bit, and feel like crap & leave. But, I cannot drive today. Too dizzy, headache, loose caps on 2 teeth. So, I can't go. My wife offered to drive, but the car motion is too much at this stage. I will be alot better by Monday eve.
I MUST tell my Dr. to turn down the volume ! They can do that, 'ya know.
Juice ya up or juice ya down. He keeps puttin' PREMIUM in me. Time for Regular, next time. Crying or Very sad

I had to fill out form number 22,677 ( Smile ) at the hospital. t asked my age, so I put it down, 61. So, the woman is looking over the paper and says to me, "Who filled this out?" I said: "I did" ~ She says to me, YOU ARE 61 ???
Yes, I said. She said that I looked no older than 49 ! I thanked her. I told her I feel like 91 !

Then she read further & I really blew her mind!
Religion I entered Jewish. Heritage ... I entered Italian.

She says, that is not possible. Why not?
There are no Jewish folks in Italy ? Stupid are all around us.

There are many Synagogues in Italy. Who Goes ? Arabs ?

ProTouringASC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy wrote:
Then she read further & I really blew her mind!
Religion I entered Jewish. Heritage ... I entered Italian.

She says, that is not possible. Why not?
There are no Jewish folks in Italy ? Stupid are all around us.

There are many Synagogues in Italy. Who Goes ? Arabs ?

Muslim Arabs go to the Synagogues in Italy... they like to see empty Synagogues.... How silly!

Some people just don't think.

My Grandfather died of colon cancer, but his was due to his having been in Japan just after the atomic bomb blasts. They ate the food and drank the water. That's the worst as it gets the radioactive material down into your body.

Keep up the good spirits Sandy, they'll pull you through!

I'll be going to a car show today in Mt Airy, MD to benefit an 11 year old girl with cancer. That's the stuff that really gets to you...

Shiny Side Up!
Bill
Sandy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it gets to me. I sit in the large (Oh, 15' x 15') waiting room, with like 36 chairs and an @$$ in each one. I look at the people. Every race,every religion, both sexes, young....yes....young and middle age and old and very old. Cancer does not discriminate!

So far, my outlook and courage has been exceptional, but yesterday I lost some of it. I have to talk to my Dr. about turning down the volume (as I call it) of the strength of the Chemo. The stuff raise all hell with your mind memory, balance, weight, desire to eat, and all else.
I am one heck of alot better today. I just came home from DRIVING to get something. ZERO dizzy today, just numb fingers and sour taste in mouth.
By Monday AM I will be 100% fine. Just get really tired out > quickly !!

ALL food tastes different! Taste buds are VERY sensitive to the affects of the various Chemos. Most things taste pretty poor. I eat alot of soup, as somehow the chemo does not alter the taste of soup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> It's your call. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: