ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index ascMcLaren Enthusiasts
An asc McLaren forum for ALL Mustang and Capri based cars modified by Automotive Speciality Corporation, a Division of American Sunroof Corporation.
(a trademarked corporation) with no affilation to this site.

AlbumAlbum   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1988 5.0 HO Restoration Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Builds/Projects/Restoration
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhitB

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: 1988 5.0 HO Restoration Project Reply with quote

Starting a thread here instead of the main discussion board. I still need to post pictures..... As a reminder, this car had been flooded, but was cleaned up and started after the flood in 2018 and it had been sitting since 2008.

I started changing fluids today. When I was changing the oil, there was a little water, about a half cup or less and quite a bit of sludge that came out of the back/bottom plug section of the oil pan. The oil was not milky, just seemed like the oil was floating on the water.

I do not have access to a lift, but I am wondering if I should be dropping the oil pan and cleaning it out? I have done some reading and some people are doing a kerosene flush to clean out the oil pan and pickup tube without dropping the pan. Use a gallon of kerosene, let it sit a couple days, drain and repeat at least once and perhaps twice. Is that something I should do or should I try and drop the pan and clean it up that way. Thoughts?

Thank you!
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you drain the oil\water, there won't be that much moisture left to do too much once you refill it with oil. Regardless, I don't think the Kerosene will hurt it.

Sounds like just some water got in via the dipstick and yes, a small amount like that probably just sits in the sump. You may want to just change the oil, add some oil cleaning additive run it as directed, then change the oil.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
WhitB

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was anything changed or replaced regarding the car horns or are they just stock horns? Any difference in them in the car models, LX, GT or ascMcLaren? Both of mine are shot and I can't easily take them apart to attempt to fix them. They are each on a separate bracket. They are riveted closed, so I was thinking I could drill out the rivets, refurbish and then use small bolts to put them back together. I would like to keep the car as original as possible. Thank you!
negusm
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would be stock horns. The 85s got air horns as well as the stock horns. You can try to take them apart, but might be easier to find some in a junkyard or ebay. Those horns were used on tons of Fords. The only think different might be the bracket. Unless flooded, they usually work forever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Album
WhitB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need to replace the fuel pump. Looking for suggestions. Go with what was stock or upgrade it to a Walbro 255 LPH high pressure pump? Any issues going with higher flow?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ascMcLaren Enthusiasts Forum Index -> Builds/Projects/Restoration All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: